Our first day went well, really well. We ate good food, enough of it, just about managed with less hot drinks so the coffee and tea rations would stand a chance of lasting. It made me realise how many times during the course of the day I make a coffee .... too much caffeine cannot possibly be good for me, and also how many half cups of tea Alan usually leaves ... knowing he only had a few teabags made him make two cups from each one in the teapot and drink every drop of every one that he made.
We had porridge for breakfast, and then a bit later we had elevenses of a freshly baked bread roll each with spread and jam, then we were both busy for most of the day so we didn't have our dinner until around 3.30pm ... which is quite late for us.
I decided to prep all of the cauliflower rather than just chopping off enough for the days meal.
So what wasn't needed was blanched for a couple of minutes, cooled and then bagged and popped into the freezer.
As you can see it was a good plate of food each. When I realised that my dinner was going to be pretty pathetic with just one sausage, I made up some stuffing with dried herbs, finely chopped onion and lots of breadcrumbs.
Although it looks like there is, there was not a lot of actual meat on Alan's piece of lamb and the two lamb chops, so although it had been my intention to hold some back for the next days pasties, I relented and let my hungry man eat it all and the dogs got the bones, so everyone was happy in the end :-)
Leftovers ... planned leftovers.
Cauliflower blanching water, the vegetable and potato cooking water that wasn't used for making gravy. In the tubs are the extra potatoes that I cooked, already mashed for use for another meal or for making 'potato pastry', and in the little tub a handful of carrots and a couple of leftover cauliflower florets.
Stashed in the freezer are all the trimmings and peelings ready to be used for soup.
Also in the morning I was making up some wholemeal pastry ready for the next days pasties when I realised I could just take out a couple of tablespoons of the mix to use for the evening Apple Crumble. The pastry was just the usual 8oz flour to 4oz fat with a pinch of salt and just enough water to bind it together. I used a mix of my Dairy Free Spread and Trex as it makes for a good easy to work pastry, even though it was mostly brown flour. At the moment we are easing in to totally wholemeal as I don't want to waste any of my already opened white flours. This was a fifty fifty mix.
The crumbles were delicious, all I added to the two tablespoons of pastry mix was a good handful of oats and a couple of teaspoons of sugar. Sprinkled on top of last years homemade apple puree and baked for 20 minutes it was all we needed in the evening with a cup of tea and coffee.
Later I processed all the garlic that we bought with our shopping this week, just simply separating the cloves and taking off the outer papery skin.
Then I popped it into a labelled bag and put it on the shelf in the freezer that is holding all our freezer 'rations'. I know there weren't any freezers in the 1940's, well not in ordinary households anyway, but we have not gone back in time just back to rations.